Sunday, November 4, 2007

Funny Things People Said in Church (and other stuff I want to get around to writing)

There are a couple of topics that I actually have felt motivated to write about. Unfortunately, my occasionally motivation is in constant competition with my natural underlying laziness. Some of these topics are of a more serious nature and while I want to write about 'em, I think I might take a long time, formulate my thoughts carefully, blah, blah, and take a long time. So, as a preview (but mostly so I don't forget), here are some things I want to write about:

- "Capitalism, Fairness and Modern Dance: A Ballroom Dancer's Response" - The title really sounds like it can to anywhere doesn't it . . . ? This week I was at a luncheon where a variety of students from all of BYU's dance programs (ballet, modern, folk, and ballroom) met with an internal study group to answer questions and voice concerns. I was interested to hear some of the major concerns from some of the modern dancers. Some of the things that they were concerned about (having performance opportunities, funding and scholarships) are things that are quite common place in the BYU Ballroom dance program. Anyway, I kind of wanted to talk about that a little. I know that few of you will care at all about the specifics, but it is actually kind of an interesting example of capitalism in action. . . Stay tuned. I'm pretty sure I'm going to write this one.

- "School Vouchers: A Well-intentioned, but Misguided Effort to Reform the Public School System," or "School Vouchers: The Evil Spawned of Darkness that Will Cover the Earth in a Sea of Blood." No matter which title you prefer, I don't think that school vouchers are a good idea, and I (might) tell you why. If I get around to it.

- "Funny Things People Said in Church." Continuing the fine tradition of overheard lines, I thought it would be fun to include an often up-datable featurette about things that people say in church (whether or not they are intentional) that make everyone sit up and go "what?"

Today's installment of "Funny Things People Said in [Stake Conference]/CES Fireside":
- A girl recounting her conversion story, from being a disaffected Catholic: "I looked into a bunch of things. I looked into Harri Krishna. Not that I would have become Harri Krishna. But I was vegan at the time. Mostly because it was really great food."

- Elder Oaks' wife Kristin during tonight's CES fireside. "I was single for fifty-three years. It felt like a world record."
- Elder Oaks during tonights CES fireside: "I just want to say that I'm proud to be here tonight with a world-record holder."

3 comments:

David Stoker said...

Did you ever read that book Glamour Addiction about the Ballroom Dance industry/money? Could help you in your essay.

Rich said...

I read bits and pieces. The focus of the essay is really (going to be) more about the fact that the nature of ballroom dancing is such that people are willing to pay money to support it, while modern dancers, whose dance style is just as if not more artistically valid, need to request grants and funding just to have performances, buy costumes etc. It just seemed like a great example of capitalism in action, right here in our own Richard's Building.

David Stoker said...

Is it really the nature of the dance? (I think it could be argued-particularly the male/female combination) Or is it primarily the competition element (the connection to capitalism) of ballroom that creates a market. If modern had dance-offs would their situation improve?