Thursday, January 31, 2008

The Little Pocket

Just a quick one today. I took a break after the RomCom post, which continues to fill me with glee. Just yesterday I read a hilarious list called "Tips for Surviving Puberty" that a hilarious and very good friend of mine wrote. Maybe we could co-author a list called "This Will Make You Wet Your Pants" because it probably would.



Just now, I'm in a campus computer lab. I sat down to write out the rest of an assignment that is due later on today (pros and cons of medical schools that I think I would like to apply to). However, I couldn't find the new, expensive jump-drive that I had to purchase for another class that already has a lot of really important assignments on it. My backpack is made of two pockets: the large pocket (into which goes books, clothes, food, large wads of bills, animals in various stages of mummification etc.) and then the little pocket (into which goes . . . well you'll see).



I mention this because most of your American bought backpacks these days have the lap-top pocket, the medium pocket with the pencil/pen holders, the inside lining pocket, the little pocket, and then tiny pocket within the little pocket meant for holding change (or Skittles, I guess). I put my jump drive into the little pocket this morning thinking that I would pull it out and finish up the assignment, no problem. But the I couldn't find it. I dug around frantically and cursed the technology that can fit 2 gigabytes of data on to such a tiny little, Lego-sized piece of hardware. Finally I pulled out everything in the pocket. I was amazed and disgusted with what I found. This list is absolutely true. (For the record, the little pocket measures about 6''x 8''x 1.5'')



(Note: the craziest things have a ??? after them)



- 3 mechanical pencils, one of them empty and broken

- 5 black ball point pens, (3 of them free from a drug company, one of the made out of wood and carboard and one from a rock band)

- 3 black gel-style pens

- 2 blue ball point pens (both free, one bank, one BYU)

- 1 black sharpie marker

- 1 yellow ink highlighter (there were 3 at least two days ago. I don't know where the others are)

- 1 yellow scripture marking highlighter (I know for a fact that I have another one in the large pocket, but it doesn't count)

- 2 blue scripture marking highlighters

- 1 mini camera tripod (???)

- 3 BYU pins (given out on BYU tours over seas . . . these have been there for at least eight months, or possibly a year and eight months)

- 1 comb

- 3 granola bars (I only knew about two of them, as they were going to be my lunch today)

- 1 mini bottle of ibuprofen

- 1 half empty pack of Orbit sweet-mint gum (the best gum ever. I'm eating some right now)

- 2 packets of Emergen-C cold fighting, vitamin C supplements

- 11 pennies

- 2 dimes

- 1 nickel

- 5 old pieces of unchewed gum (full of lint and mechanical pencil lead)

- 1 mini stapler

- 1 sleeping mask (???)

- 4 chapsticks (???)(I have no idea where these came from. I hope they are all mine, but I might throw them away rather than take the chance)

- 1 key to my car that I didn't know I had (???)

- 2 more pens that I forgot to count before

- 1 receipt for a Park and Ride airport service (their number is 596-7275)

- 1 unwrapped half of an old candy cane (???)

- 1 handful of wrappers, lint, and unidentifiable garbage that I threw away and that left my hand rather sticky.

And thankfully . . .

- 3 jump drives (one of them not mine, but one was the one that I needed to finish my assignment).





You can't make stuff like that up.

No comments: