Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Red, White and Mute

"You don't agree with me? Clearly, I'm not speaking loud enough." - Groucho Marx


That quote really isn't by Groucho Marx (I just made it up). But today was the New Hampshire primaries, and I totally agree with the fake quote from Groucho Marx that I made up. Apparently it's a pretty crazy primary. Some towns ran out of ballots because voters turned up in droves. Even before the results are in, it's evident that (as countless, louder people people than me have said), it's anybody's game at this point (expect for those candidates you've never heard of).

With everyone endorsing the platform of "A vote for _____ is a vote for change!" all the candidates seem New Hampshire-bent on making sure that everyone knows that their views, opinions and policies are a definite change from the current shambles of an administration. In about five quick minutes of checking emails and wandering around news sites, I came across more rabid, confident and opposing opinions than I could shake my newly shorn head at.

There's a lot of reasons why I spend a considerable amount of my energy thinking of funny things to do and say rather than be "more involve" in "the issues." I could "take a stand" or "reconsider my current diet of cereal, gum, and shortbread cookies" (note: that is true). Part of it I attribute to my upbringing (scroll down to skip reading about my upbringing. Hint: it was boring).


When I was growing up, our family didn't regularly engage in debate about practically anything; disagreements were almost exclusively a "hey you took my/broke my _____" or "it's my turn to ____ now!" Subsequent parental judgement was distributed and uneasy peace reigned.

I attribute the lack of verbal debate or discussion to 1) my family's naturally shy and introverted personalities (our genes that were expressed suppressed expression. Ha!) and 2) my parents amazing unity of mind. I never, in my entire life, saw an argument, a raised voice at each other or any kind of disagreement. We knew that my mom didn't care for my dad's tendency to buy new power tools or gardening equipment without warning. We also knew that Dad going to watch Mom and each of the kids performing in various symphonies and bands wasn't his favorite thing. But this never resulted in conflict. I believe that this contributed greatly to my tendency of having opinions, but not wearing them on my sleeve. And in some cases opting to keep my long sleeve shirts in my closet (because they can be tacky).



Another reason for this continued non-verbalization of opinions, is that it has become so very easy for a mild, perhaps, as-yet-not-totally-formed opinion to be shouted down. It sometimes seems hard to ask even close friends on their opinions without setting yourself up for a dose more argument than you wanted. Sometimes (often actually), I think that it would actually be great to have more open, honest, well informed, and almost of highest priority, tactful discussions about important opinions.

Some of the smartest people that I have gotten to know whose input I thought could have been valuable had no tact. Noone wants to be belittled. It grates on your senses when someone's tone, vocabulary, imply that if you were really intelligent, you'd agree with them ("Really? Are you kidding? Why shouldn't creationism be taught in school if isn't just one of the things that they teach? Here's something by Joseph Fielding Smith I photocopied on my mission . . . ")

And while I'm on the subject: It bothers me (and encourages me not to bother)(Ha!) when people believe wholeheartedly that complex issues (immigration, gay marriage, and abortion) and topics have simple, easy, sometimes one-sentence answers that they just heard from Jon Stewart or Stephen Colbert (note: I love you guys!). And repeating your simple one answer louder is less helpful than you might think.

So there you go. Do I have opinions? You betcha! Do I want to hear yours? More than I'm letting on. Since I've already worn enormous divots into my soapbox as it is, I won't subject you to any of them here. But since you are my good and close friend (in fact, I like you more than everyone else. Just don't tell them, or else I won't get invited to any more parties), I'll give you the 411 on some of those opinions. And if you don't agree with me then I have a very convincing golf club that would like to have a word or two with your tail light.

1 comment:

meg said...

This is the first time i've paid attention to any of these caucuses, (cauci? that sounds like something else...) because this is the the first round since brad and i have been married. anyway, i find the whole process fascinating, comical, idealistic, and beautiful at once.
i grew up without a lot of political discussion in my home, and i didn't figure out until a couple of years ago that this was likely due to opposing views in my home. i have had some good discussions with my parents since my epiphany, as i've ventured into the world of political views, seeking to define my own. What we usually discuss is how people tend to oversimplify incredibly complex and important issues. i'm not sure i can discuss the issues very well yet--i still don't feel all that informed as i wander through that maze--but i have gotten good at pointing out the hypocrisies of politicians, journalists, commentators, and staunch party followers.