Sunday, December 16, 2007

The Fifth Post of Christmas: Mr. Kreuger's Christmas

No jokes here today. Even if I wanted to make jokes (which I do with frightening regularity), I couldn't make fun of the movie Mr. Krueger's Christmas. This is a movie that most of you are probably familiar with (since most of you are people I coerce into reading this banality). It was produced in 1980 by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saint and starred Jimmy Stewart. The basic plot line of the twenty-five minute film is that Willy Krueger is a widower custodian and the music that he hears on Christmas Eve from carolers, the radio and record player, all cause him to day dream about various grandious Christmas experiences, and all of them involving the music of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.

To be honest, I think that some of the montages are a litle corny, but only in sense that they are dated. But Jimmy Stewart is excellent. I always want to do more for people who are alone at Christmas time after this. There is one scene, the climax of the movie, that makes the movie especially meaningful and it's all thanks to the amazing acting of Jimmy Stewart. I am not a crier, but this scene chokes me up every time I see it. I am not exaggerating either, it happens every time.

Here is a low quality YouTube post of the movie. Please take the three minutes that you didn't spend laughing at funny stuff I didn't write at go to about time 17:20. You'll be glad you did.




My favorite line: "I love you. You are my closest, my finest friend. And means I can hold my head high, where ever I go. Thank you. Thank you."

Merry Christmas.

2 comments:

Laurie S said...

There was a stretch of three or four years where I just didn't watch Mr. Kreuger's Christmas because I got so emotional. It was embarrassing. But I braved it last year, and did okay. I'll have to go and watch it again, now that you've reminded me. :) I totally agree about Jimmy Stewart - no one else could have done this role as flawlessly as that gentleman. (For some reason, a younger Jimmy Steward reminds me a bit of Dad . . . can you see it?) Can't wait to read the rest of the blogs, Rich!

meg said...

Thanks for sharing, Rich. I agree with Laurie--we watched this film again recently and thought that Willy Krueger could have come off as creepy, but he doesn't. He is incredible and shares a beautiful testimony of our Savior.