Friday, December 14, 2007

The Third Post of Christmas: "Little Dumber Boy"

(the following was an overheard conversation)

"Honey, I just don't see what the big deal is!"

"Again, it's just a really, terribly, bad idea!"

"I still don't see how that's a bad idea. It'll get them into the Christmas spirit!"

"Really, Steven? Really?! Can you think of one single time, one single person, who just having gone through such an long and ardous experience would think that that would put them into the Christmas spirit?"

"Well, they wrote the song about it didn't they?"

"That's my point!! Nobody ever really stopped to say 'You know what? If a boy came in and did that right after I had just had a baby, I would smile politely and thank him for his thoughtful gift.'"

"Sharon, he was a poor boy. A poor boy. It was all he had!"

"I worry, I really worry, about the boy who, walking into a filthy stable and seeing a mother in the state she must have been in, thinks to himself, 'Looking on in reverent silence at the newborn King would be good, but banging out a smokin' hot riff on my drum?!! That's exactly what this situation calls for!!' Honestly, Steven, you show me that boy and I'll show you someone our tax dollars should be providing programs for."

"Sharon it was all he had and it was just a gesture!"

"And I'm telling you that if it had be ME after Chelsea was born? . . . Well, I can think of several gestures I would have shot right back at him."

". . . " (mumbling)

"Of course I'm overreacting, Steven! It's my only sister's first child! It was a thirty-six, a THIRTY-SIX HOUR, delivery! AND I've been telling you no the entire drive over here, and if you don't stop playing "Wipe Out" on the nurse's counter right now, and take your snare drum back to the car, you will not live to see our child open her Christmas presents!"

(quietly to self) "Pah-rum-pum-pum-pum, Rum-pum-pum-pum, Rum-pum-pum-p-aaACKHH."

"Nurse, one to visit room 3405. When he gets up, please take his sticks out of his mouth and tell him that he can wait in car."

1 comment:

~*Alina*~ said...

You always seem to overhear the funniest stories...